Friday, December 17, 2010

Information exposure…

Shirley Garcia
Student ID #: 11468539
Info 506: Social Networking for Information Professionals
Lyn Hay—Fall 2010

Perhaps one of my greatest difficulties with social networking websites is the exposure of personal information. Quite frankly, it makes me terribly uncomfortable. I honestly don’t know much about sites like LinkedIn, but they don’t really provide the potential user with a great deal of detailed information. It seems that you learn about this site by putting up your information. Private profile or not, I find this very strange. It definitely takes me out of my comfort zone. I understand the use for this kind of website in regards to networking with professionals in your chosen field, and reconnecting with individuals you know, but I still find the experience uncomfortable….I feel like strangers can get to know too much about me without knowing me. Besides, websites like this one can enable users to share experience that can be explained on paper, but it cannot describe what I feel are more important qualities. By that I mean the intrinsic qualities that make individuals effective at their chosen profession. I think this holds especially true within fields that center on human interaction. Again, however, I am still learning, and the best learning often comes when one is not within what they find comfortable....

No comments:

Post a Comment